design_ade

Rants and cool stuff about design and general crafty-ness.

Wednesday, April 07, 2004

Unica Home, not exactly design within reach

Product Details

I like Unica's web site. They have lots of very fun things that I would like to own. A $140 colander is not one of them. Of course it is an ALESSI colander... (insert ooh and ahh here)

I really never understood the desire to own such everday objects that have been "designed" by someone. If I had $140 to spend on a colander, I wouldn't. Even the stuff designed by Michael Graves for Target, which is very reasonably priced... I don't know. There are some things that are nice to have that look different- staplers, picture frames, clocks... At least these things are on display everyday, not tucked into your kitchen cabinet. Spend $140 on a great knife set, or a piece of All-Clad cookware, or something where the fuctionality increases with its price. My $2 colander works just fine...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home